Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Sweater Ribbon Bracelet Tutorial

I found what I call "sweater ribbon" at a Jo-Ann store the other day.  It was in the department with the upholstery stuff rather than in the sewing and fabric section.



Super cool stuff. I thought it would make a cool bracelet with copper chain, so I made a tutorial for you guys. Check it out!


You will need some sweater ribbon, wire (I used about 20 gauge), chain, and some beads (optional). You'll also need some type of clasp, such as a lobster claw clasp.

The end of the ribbon tends to unravel, so I folded it in about a half inch


And then folded it again about an inch, inch and a half.


Wrap the wire around the ribbon to secure the ends


Stick wire through the folded over end, and then
  Bend it, and

  Wrap one end around the other. With the remaining wire, make a wrapped loop to attach the chain.

 
Like so. 


Fold over and wire wrap the other side of the sweater ribbon, and then attach the chain the same way.

Pin It

Use jump rings to attach a clasp to one end of the chain.


Pin It

Ta Da!

 You can also add beads to the chain if you like.


   More hand modeling with beaded version.


Edited to add:
Kashmira at the blog Sadafulee took up the sweater ribbon bracelet challenge and made her own cute version (and she even crocheted the ribbon herself!). Check it out HERE

14 comments:

  1. Wow! This is sweet! Very chic! Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way cool - thanks for sharing! Gotta love the fabric store, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really stunning style.The beads are very cute and giving a perfect look to the bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun tutorial! I'll have to keep my eyes out for that ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's ADORABLE! I'm going to have to look at the upholstery section next time I'm at JoAnn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really cool! Thanks for sharing the process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so interesting to see the steps to the finished piece...love the style of fabric and beads and metal all clubbed together to make a fantastic piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea (and execution). Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great bracelet to wear with jeans. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SO fab! I am going to try this with crochet (since I don't know how to knit)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did a great job using your imagination! I am a 52 yr. old woman who loves to make stuff from all kinds of stuff that is outside the box and attractive. I love how you came up with the idea of making a bracelet out of that sweater ribbon. I think it is very attractive for anyone 16 to 60 yrs. old.
    I hope God blesses you to become an inspiration for other young people to step away from the cell phone, I-Pod, computer, etc. and be creative.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...