Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Paint Chip Earrings Tutorial

I got an idea from this gorgeous photo on Pinterest of this cool mobile



I saw that gorgeous color and dots, and thought...hmm, earrings!



take paint chips


use punches to cut out dots. Each earring uses two dots of the darkest color, and four dots of each of the three lighter colors. 


Hold two of the same color dots together with the color sides out, and punch a hole in it so you can  

rivet it with a colored scrap booking rivet.

Flatten the back side of the rivet with scrap booking tools or (like I did) with a round headed hammer

Put a jump ring through the darkest color. This is the bottom of the earring

Then, put another jump ring through the first jump ring, and put the next-lightest color of riveted dots on either side of the opening of the ring, so they hang down like this.
Close the jump ring, and repeat with all the dots.


Viola!



And purple too!

You can also use these punches and paint chips to make single layered earrings





Rivet the two yellow dots with the color sides out, and the gray dot on top.

Add jump rings and earring wires to finish.


The flower, star and heart punches are fun too!

Cute!

If you have any questions, let me know!

17 comments:

  1. Oh my word, you smarty pants, you! That is just the cutest idea ever! But, alas, I don't have punches, or scrapping rivets, or any of that cool stuff. :( So I'll just sigh over yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a neat idea! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to try this! That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so glad you did it! Adorable :) Yeah, I don't have any of those punchy things either. But I'm totally admiring your ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome are you!? Super creative, super cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very genius!!
    I saw that same pic on Pintrest and didn't see what you saw in it. Thanks for sharing this fabulous idea. So fun! Smarty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! One more thing. . .I want to make sure I'm following you on Pintrest. What's your name there? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Can't wait to run to the hardware store!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The coolest idea I've seen in a long time!! oh my how I've picked up those paint cards in fave colors and then recycled when I found them later.. only to go get more next time I'm at the hardware store. Now I know what to do with them! ; ) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy,


    I just wanted to let you know that I featured your tutorial on my site, www.AllFreeBeadedJewelry.com. I linked to this project: http://www.allfreebeadedjewelry.com/Recycled-Earrings/Paint-Chip-Earrings


    I would like to know if I can link like this to you, including a photo, in the future. Or if you would be willing to allow me to post projects in full on the site - full credit will always be given to you, of course. It would be yet another source of traffic to your blog.

    Once I have two projects on the site I can start a designer profile for you with links back to your blog, store, facebook, etc. Here is an example of one: http://www.allfreebeadedjewelry.com/Jewelry-Designers/Pearl-Blay-Jewelry-Designer


    Please let me know, I would love to work with you further.
    Thanks!
    Maggie Kmiecik
    mkmiecik@primecp.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to incorporate color!

    And by the way, I found this project and your site through allfreebeadedjewelry.com

    So it's working...

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are just gorgeous! love them! :) lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite is the chandelier style version!

    ReplyDelete
  14. is anything done on the backs of the paint chips to cover the printing? any suggestions?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I put two of the paint chip dots back to back before I rivet them, so no matter which way they flutter you see color. Hope that helps!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...